Thursday 11 October 2012

Another testimonial

Never in my life would I have thought that I would hire a style consultant. For one, I had this image in my head of what a stylist was, and it wouldn't be accessible for someone like me. Definitely not the case.  Beth's warm and professional demeanour made me feel instantly comfortable.  Plus, lucky for me, I have the Style Guru as my neighbour.  It was back in 2010 that Beth & I discussed doing an exchange, and finally in 2012, I decided to take the leap and the exchange began!  (Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have done this earlier)

One of my hesitancy's from asking Beth for help was being worried of having to get rid of all my clothes and have to shop for a whole new wardrobe.  However, that wasn't the case at all.  Beth was so creative in how she mixed and matched pieces that I loved to create whole new outfits.  She showed me how clothes should fit my body, what items look great on me and flattered my figure. Which made it really easy to get rid of the pieces that did just the opposite.  In the end, I really only had to buy a few staple pieces to complete my revamped wardrobe.

The whole experience was so affirming, fun and enlightening and was a lot easier than I originally thought. The first step was to answer some thought provoking questions about who I was & how I dressed and the importance of clearly communicating my true self.  I am playful, creative, kind, energetic, beautiful - but how I dressed didn't consistently portray that image.  Now, I am confident that who I am on the inside is conveyed clearly by what I choose to wear.

Because Beth is very client centered, it wasn't her agenda that drove the process, it was her desire to help me feel beautiful & great in everything I wore.  The more I started to feel good about how I looked, the more confident I felt to choose clothes myself. Throughout the process, with Beth's help, I grew to trust my own instincts.

There was also an unexpected consequence to having Beth help me discover my personal style. Not only was what I wore inconsistent with who I was in the world, I realized that my outdoor space was also inconsistent with who I was.  Building on the confidence from reworking my wardrobe, I looked at my backyard & decided to make a change. It was time to create a space that reflected me, my personality, my passions.  I followed the same process as when Beth went through my wardrobe: purging, mixing & moving, reorganizing & assessing what's missing to make it complete.

Now, after the process, I feel empowered to be able to create outfits on my own, and stay consistent with who I am.  Since having this experience I have had numerous comments on how great I look and I have been more than happy to tell everyone about what a wonderful time I had with Beth.

Beth met me where I stood. We went on a wonderful ride together and it's surprising how much more integrated I feel in how I present myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment